Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Pick-Me-Up



Baked a Tiramisu for Mom and Grandma for Mother's Day.

The phrase tira mi su according to Wikipedia literally means 'pick-me-up' or 'pull-me-up' in Italian, in reference to the effects of the sugar and espresso.

The cake is claimed to be invented in Treviso at "Le Beccherie" restaurant in the hands of the god-daughter and apprentice of confectioner Roberto Linguanotto, Francesca Valori, whose maiden name was Tiramisu. It is believed that Linguanotto named the dish in honour of Francesca's culinary skill.



Layers of cheese, dark chocolate with sponge cake drenched in espresso and coffee liquor


Sadly, I could not get my hands on sponge fingers so I baked a sponge cake instead (making sure it wasn't too porous, the way I like it). Due to our hot and humid weather, it had to be stuck in the fridge almost immediately after it was put together.

Mommy liked the cake :)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin