Friday, September 10, 2010

Back to Baking

While the kitchen was under construction last week, I was asked to make Tinky Winky, Dipsy, Laa-Laa, and Po. Yup, for those in the know those names equate the Teletubbies! Yesterday, one-year-old Sean was gifted a colorful birthday cake of his favourite cartoon characters. Eh-Oh!


I looked up Teletubbies and learned that they live in a mound called the "Tubbytronic Superdome", a futuristic dome of sorts. I thought it would be sweet to incorporate their home into the design and made the cake base grey with the top tier being the dome. I also dotted the "talkative" flowers and rocks around the cake to resemble landscape. Since the cake was transported on a long-distance road trip, I decided against using buttercream as foliage for fear of it running/smudging.



From the pictures off the net there was always the presence of a bright sun with the face of a real life baby hovering in the blue sky. I opted not to insert the baby's face as I found it spooky (but that's just me) and didn't want to scare the kiddies. In its place is a smiley face.




Each Teletubby is dyed in their respective colours with tele-screens on their bellies and topped with their antennas of various shapes. All work is made from fondant with the exception of the No.1 candle.




Sucking specks of sugar that may have been left behind on the cake board is the Noo-Noo, a blue vacuum cleaner that cleans up tubby mess.

1 comment:

alchemy-fabulousfood said...

Stunning cake. Beautifully vivid colour. What a lucky kid Sean is!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin