Saturday, February 12, 2011

sPANEER in the works

 

I found myself home alone last night and thought, hey I can make paneer!. Since I never seem to remember to buy muslin when I'm near a textile store, I rummaged through my kitchen drawers and found a brand new loosely-woven cotton towel  :)

I thought it would be interesting to show how easy it is to make your very own homemade cheese. With camera hung from neck, I made a small batch of cheesy goodness from only 2 ingredients. Seeing that it was my first time making paneer, I thought it safer to make a small quantity. So here goes...

Ingredients
1 litre Full Cream Milk 
1/2 cup Rice Vinegar (or lemon juice)


  1. Line a colander with a loosely woven cotton cloth. Set colander on top of a large bowl.
  2. Pour the milk into a heavy-bottom stainless steel pot.
  3. Bring the milk to a rolling boil. Turn heat off and add in the vinegar to coagulate. Stir.
  4. Once removed from heat, the curd settles.


5.  Pour the coagulated milk onto the colander lined with cloth. The cloth filters the curd and the bowl
     underneath collects the whey.


6.  Wrap the cloth tightly on itself and squeeze the whey out (some people use the hanging
     method, I just squeeze the life out of mine). To remove any remaining liquid, put
     something heavy and flat on top of the paneer for an hour or two.

That's it! As opposed to my post title, there was no chaos, just easy peasy lemon squeezy the whole way. I cut my paneer into tiny chunks and added it to curry. It is not a flavorsome cheese (similar to cottage cheese) but the texture added a whole new dimension to the curry, which was nice. As 1 litre of milk only makes a palmful of paneer, I used it all up and will definitely make another batch very soon.

There are so many ways to use paneer, see here. My next batch is for a walnut salad!

Let me know if you try this out and what you'll be adding your paneer to.

1 comment:

Gette said...

Wow. That seems easy enough that I want to try it now!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin