Friday, July 15, 2011

I want to ride my bicycle


I never got the saying : It's like riding a bike.

I don't know how to ride a bike. The truth is I'd forgotten how to. Maybe I never knew how to. But I remember quite distinctly being taught by big bro and how I was rather happy with myself for pedaling on two wheels.


I blame my lapse of memory on many factors : the main one being fear (of falling and of bleeding profusely from a deep gash on the knee or elbow), and the fact that I have not biked for many many years. I did attempt to re-learn in my teens to no avail. I had several cracks at it throughout early adulthood but all were in vain. So I just gave up.


Then last weekend, I suggested to A that perhaps I should give it another go since my nephew owned a bike that was just the right height for me. I psyched myself for a full week. When the weekend arrived and I climbed onto that yellow two-wheeler, lo and behold - I was riding (again). As opposed to all the other times (when I lifted both feet off the ground to start pedaling only to lose my balance and quickly put my feet back on the ground before I fell), I can't say how it was different this time round but somehow I kept at that one extra push of the pedal before I put my foot down.



It is rather exhilarating to be back on the saddle again. Amongst other maneuvers, I'm still learning not to panic when I see a dog/car/person/tree how to make U-turns. After so many years of failed attempts, I am hopefully finally committing to memory the motions of steering a bicycle and relishing every moment of re-acquaintance with a few long lost derriere muscles.

Get on your bikes and ride!



No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin